Thursday, April 16, 2009

Life's Little Irritants: Left Turn on Green Arrow Only

I am going to begin my "Life's Little Irritants" series with one of my least favorite signs, "Left Turn on Green Arrow Only". This is such a time waster. The government feels a need to protect us from ourselves. No one is allowed to think and make a decision on when it is safe to make a left turn.

I agree that there is value to protected left turn arrows. Some times the traffic is so heavy that without a left arrow, it would be a long wait for a break in traffic, and then only one or two cars could make the turn.

However, the 'Left Turn on Green Arrow Only' is carring the protection too far. For most times during the day, cars just sit, waiting for the green arrow for minutes at a time with no cars in sight in any direction. Such a waste of time.

I am tempted to make the turn anyway, ignoring the little sign, but I try to be a law abiding citizen. So I wait, and I get irritated, and I still wait.

No comments: