Friday, July 18, 2008

Al Gore's Proposal

Yesterday, in a major energy speech, Al Gore called for a national goal to generate 100% of our electricity from renewable sources within 10 years. He likened the goal to John Kennedy's goal of putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade (60s).

I am delighted to hear the call, and urge all of my friends to support this worthy goal. It is time for decisive action!This isn't just an environmental goal. As Al Gore, T. Boone Pickens, and others have pointed out, we are bankrupting our country with the outflow of cash for foreign oil.

I do disagree with Mr. Gore on one important point. I believe we should still open our continental shelf for oil exploration. It's not that it can solve our current energy crisis, it's just that there are a lot of things to do with oil besides burn it in cars and trucks.

I also support Sen, McCain's call for additional Nuclear Energy, more as an alternative for steady state electrical power generation.I have previously called for additional investing in rail alternatives, such as high speed electric trains, as alternatives to air travel, which at least for the short term will continue to be powered by fossil fuels.

I plan to buy an electric car when available. Until then I'll have to limit the driving of my gas guzzeling SUV, and probably will never by the class A RV which I have often thought I wanted when I retired.

No comments: